- Computer I
- Computer II
- - Computer II Ref
- Computer III
- - Computer III Ref
- Information Service / ESP
- Net over Cable
- Net over DSL
- Net over Wireless
- Net Over Powerline
- Layered Model Regulation
- Access Charges
- - CPE
- - Info Services
- Network Info Disclosure
- Network Neutrality
- Common Carriage
© Cybertelecom ::
These safeguards were created and implemented as a party of the Computer Inquiries, particularly set forth in Computer III.
Pursuant to the Commission’s “Allocation of Cost” rules, a carrier may not use services not subject to competition to subsidize services that are subject to competition.138 In other words, a carrier could not use noncompetitive local telephone revenues to subsidize its Internet access services.
13847 C.F.R. § 64.901(c):
A telecommunications carrier may not use services that are not competitive to subsidize services subject to competition. Services included in the definition of universal service shall bear no more than a reasonable share of the joint and common costs of facilities used to provide those services.
See also 47 U.S.C. § 254(k) (articulating same restriction).
Carriers are subject to a series of accounting safeguards which can be found in Subpart I of Part 64 of Title 47, Code of Federal Regulations. The rules require that certain carriers be subject to annual independent audits to ensure, for example, that they are not improperly cross subsidizing their services. The final reports of these independent audits are publicly available and can be obtained by contacting the Accounting Safeguards Division of the FCC’s Common Carrier Bureau. Information about Common Carriers accounting can be found in the Commission’s ARMIS database, publicly available on the FCC website. Pursuant to Section 64.903, the Commission has a cost allocation manual indicating how different common carrier costs should be allocated between regulated and unregulated services.
139 See 65 Fed. Reg. 16,328, 16,335 (Mar. 28, 2000) (to be codified at 47 C.F.R. § 64.904).
140 The Accounting Safeguards Division can be found online at <http://www.fcc.gov/ccb/asd/>. You may also wish to contact the ITS to obtain copies of these reports.
141 The ARMIS database contains “financial, operational, service quality, and network infrastructure data from the largest local exchange carriers” and can be found online at <http://www.fcc.gov/ccb/armis/>.
142 See 65 Fed. Reg. at 16,335 (to be codified at 47 C.F.R. § 64.903).
- COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW OF ACCOUNTING REQUIREMENTS AND ARMIS REPORTING REQUIREMENTS FOR INCUMBENT LOCAL EXCHANGE CARRIERS: PHASE I. Adopted a limited, one-time waiver of section 64.904 of the Commission's rules to permit all carriers that are subject to the independent audit requirement to file, on April 1, 2006, two annual audit reports covering each of the prior two years. (Dkt No. 99-253). Action by: Associate Chief, Wireline Competition Bureau. Adopted: 03/23/2006 by ORDER. (DA No. 06-643). WCB <http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-06-643A1.doc> <http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-06-643A1.pdf> <http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-06-643A1.txt>
- 12/08/2005 Wireline Competition Bureau issues order revising the ARMIS Annual Reports. CC Docket No. 86-182. Order: Word | Acrobat
- REVISION OF ARMIS ANNUAL SUMMARY REPORT AND ARMIS ACTUAL USAGE OF INVESTMENT REPORT FOR CERTAIN CLASS A AND TIER 1 TELEPHONE COMPANIES. Revised several of the Automated Reporting Management Information System (ARMIS) reports to implement Commission orders. (Dkt No. 86-182). Action by: Acting Chief, Industry Analysis and Technology Division, Wireline Competition Bureau. Adopted: 12/17/2003 by ORDER. (DA No. 03-3912). WCB, FCC 12/19/2003
- FCC Releases Annual ARMIS Order. Revises several of the Automated Reporting Management Information System (ARMIS) Reports to implement recent Commission Orders, and to clarify definitions and descriptions in these reports to ensure consistency among reports and to improve understanding of existing requirements. Mandates electronic filing of ARMIS reports. (CC Docket No. 86-182, AAD 95-91) Word
- Released: 06/22/2001. COMMON CARRIER BUREAU SEEKS COMMENT ON PROPOSED STREAMLINED ARMIS 43-04 (JURISDICTIONAL SEPARATIONS) REPORT. (DA No. 01-1496). (Dkt No 80-286). CCB. Contact: Andrew Mulitz at 0827 DA-01-1496A1.pdf DA-01-1496A1.doc DA-01-1496A1.txt, FCC 6/25/01 Public Notice announcing that the Common Carrier Bureau seeks comments on proposed streamlined ARMIS 43-04 (Jurisdictional Separations) Report. (CC Docket 80-286, DA 01-1496) Comments due no later than July 20, 2001; reply comments due no later than August 6, 2001.
- Search Field Comments
- Jan. 18, 2002 ERRATA
- Report & Order, Further Notice
- NARUC Staff Subcommittee on Telecom Accounting and ARMIS Issues Nov 2002
- Public Notice: Seeks Further Comment in Phase 2 of the Comprehensive Review of the Accounting Requirements and ARMIS Reporting Requirements for Incumbent Local Exchange Carriers. (DA 01-1403, Released 6/8/2001)
- Public Notice
- NPRM: Phase 2 and Phase 3 of the 2000 Biennial Regulatory Review -- Comprehensive Review of the Accounting Requirements and ARMIS Reporting Requirements for Incumbent Local Exchange Carriers. (FCC 00-364, Released 10/18/2000
- Order granting Qwest's motion for Extension of Time to File Comments in Phase 3
- Accounting Safeguards Under the Telecommunications Act of 1996, Report and Order, 11 FCCR. 17539, 5 Comm. Reg. (P & F) 861 (1996)
- ARMIS Data Descriptions
- ARMIS News
- FCC Info on ARMIS
- FCC Basic ARMIS FAQ
- Selected FCC ARMIS Notices and Orders
- FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION IMPLEMENTS NEW ELECTRONIC FILING SYSTEM FOR ARMIS DATABASE. Online System Collects Financial and Operational Data from Incumbent Carriers. News Release. , FCC 4/4/03
- Note that with the reorganization of the FCC, the Common Carrier Bureau became the Wireline Competition Bureau and the Accounting Safeguards Division was dissolved. It´s responsibilities have been adopted by other offices such as the Industry Analysis and Technology Division.
- STATEMENT OF COMMISSIONER MICHAEL J. COPPS ON ACCOUNTING ISSUES. STMT. News Media Contact: Jordan Goldstein at 2000 CMMR, FCC 8/21/02
- Apr 10 FCC CCB Public Forum concerning the Bureau's policies and procedures for independent audits used to evaluate compliance with the Commission's rules. 1:00 - 2:30 pm